Follow Us

News & Blog

Driving in Europe after ‘Brexit’

If the UK leaves the EU without a withdrawal agreement on 31st October 2019, you will need to carry a Green Card and International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries, including Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

Green Cards are an international certificate of insurance issued by your insurer in the UK, that proves you have the minimum motor insurance cover in place that complies with the EU Motor Directive. You will need multiple Green Cards if you:
1. are towing a trailer or caravan (please bear in mind you need separate trailer insurance in certain countries
2. require two vehicles on the same policy travelling abroad • you have two policies covering the duration of your trip, e.g. your policy falls due for renewal whilst abroad

International driving permits (IDP) are purchased from over the counter at your local Post Office and cost £5.50. You must
a. be a Great Britain resident and;
b. have a Full UK driving licence and;
c. be 18 or over

Please be aware that countries require different IDP’s, so it is important you check at for a full list.

In addition, please be reminded that you must continue to carry one of the following vehicle registration documents whilst driving abroad:
1. your vehicle log book (V5C) if you have one or
2. a VE103 to show that you are allowed to use your hired or leased vehicle abroad

For more information and/or further updates on developments, please visit

News & Blog

The importance of up-to-date...

We live in a world that is constantly changing world and so to is the value...

News & Blog

What constitutes as ‘Modified’?

An interesting report published by BIBA on ‘Modified Vehicles’ by reveals the common misconceptions made by...

News & Blog

Driving in Europe after...

If the UK leaves the EU without a withdrawal the agreement on 31st October 2019, you...

Get in touch
01937 222079
Commer House, Tadcaster, LS24 9JF

Johnson Insurance Services is a trading name of Johnson Insurance Services Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under firm reference no. 784664. Johnson Insurance Services Ltd is registered in England & Wales no. 10822509 at Commer House, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, LS24 9JF